Sunday, February 21, 2016

2016 Fitness Goal - Muscle Up First Attempt

Last year my fitness goal was to touch my toes.  Still working on that one....  My fitness goal for 2016 is a muscle up.  It is basically a pull up into dip over the bar all in one fluid motion.  There are various variations but I'll be trying to do a straight bar muscle up with a kip.







Here is my first muscle up attempt on 2/19/2016.  I had been working on my pull ups quite a bit in the last 12 months and at this point I can do about 6-8 good form pull ups.


Another attempt, same result




I have 1 day a week dedicated to muscle up training.  I've started off with the following

3 * Regular Pull ups
3 * Dead Hang
3 * Knees to Elbows (hang from bar and swing your legs up till your knees touch your elbows)

I'm also doing straight bar dips at the office and working on my grip strength with my captain of crush grippers.  I'm going to add some things from the following and start doing some variations of the initial pull up movement

Hat tip to Erik Aho from work who suggested this video series.


Also from this article, I'm going to do some box to dip practice to get a feel for the final movement and that transition where I get totally stuck.











No comments:

Post a Comment